Powerley is looking for a dynamic Controller who “gets it”, hands-on, good with changing priorities, building teams, and the ability to scale with a growing energy tech company.
Powerley is the leader in home energy management. We help households lower their energy costs and cut their carbon footprints as we continue our transition to a clean energy future. We do this by giving utility customers the power to see where they are wasting energy and control it from their smartphones, the web or even by using their voice. This experience is all possible because we partner with utilities – giving their customers instant access to the data and insights they need to make the right energy decisions to reduce their bills and make the world greener. To learn more about Powerley, visit powerley.com.
This position reports to the CEO.
The Controller will be an integral member of the Operations team, managing the activities of the technical accounting, financial reporting process, and related activities of the Operations department.
This position will require interaction with the CEO, external auditors, internal operations and development teams, and other non-financial personnel. The ideal candidate is someone who brings instant credibility because of his or her accomplishments. He/she must be able to address technical and business questions and have the interpersonal skills to persuade or gain acceptance at any level.
- Knowledge of all aspects of US GAAP
- Highly effective communicator (up, across, down) both written and orally
- Practical, results-oriented team builder with superior analytical, project management, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to convey financial performance to audiences at different levels in the organization
- Ability to manage through distractions, perform with changing priorities and aggressive deadlines
- Support business performance through proactive identification of sound expense management, applicable cost reduction, cost avoidance, asset utilization and other opportunities
- Independent, persistent problem solving and the ability to work successfully with ambiguity
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables within an entrepreneurial work setting
- Must be tactful and diplomatic with an emphasis on providing excellent internal customer service
- Exceptional communication, negotiation, listening, and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables
- Routinely communicate findings and information to other team members; transparency and knowledge sharing is expected and practiced
Key Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Generate monthly, quarterly, and annual pro forma financial statements for internal and external use in accordance with GAAP
- Enhance and / or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures of the Company that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization and support the business objectives, including accounting policies and procedures, technical memoranda and appropriate internal controls
- Assist with resolving inventory discrepancies and inventory accounting
- Coordinate with HR and assist as necessary for semi-monthly payroll processing
- Oversee and manage the continued development of Budgeting, Financial Forecasting, Operating Plans and Financial Modeling tools
- Assess ongoing FP&A processes and tools for continuous improvement and automation opportunities
- Coordinate the activities of the accounting department (including A/R and A/P areas), such as directing work of department members and being a part of the check and balance system to support company financials and to facilitate timely accounting close
- Coordinate the year-end audit with the external audit firm and manage the audit to ensure that it is completed timely, accurately, and within budget
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statement reconciliations, roll-forwards and schedules for financial reporting and audit purposes
- Manage treasury, including A/R and collections, cash flow forecasts, etc.
- Document related SOPs and process narratives
- Oversee regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Work with underwriter to obtain insurance certificates and ensure contractual insurance requirements are met
- Engage a TPA to perform 409A functions
- Hire, train, and retain skilled accounting staff as the company grows
- Lead, guide, and advise Business Unit teams on monthly, annual operating forecasts and budgets. Check against Purchase Requisition workflow
- Play a key role in supporting decision making that aligns activities with goals and objectives of each functional area, ensuring overall consistency with the Business Unit’s goals and objectives
- Provide support across departments and prepare reports as requested by CEO
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
The Successful Applicant
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related discipline required
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license is not typically required. However, having one can set you apart
- 10+ years of financial reporting experience
- Systems – NetSuite, ADP
- SaaS and services experience strongly preferred, but not required
- Experience with 409A work a plus
We offer a competitive compensation package, consisting of salary, bonus opportunity, equity, 401K with matching, and benefits to all team members.
Powerley is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.